Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fallin' Behind

I. love. Fall.
My sinus would not agree with me, but never mind them. They're never happy.

It's seriously like they are going through some sort of teenage girl ritual, trying on outfit after colorful outfit, casting them off one by one with dissatisfaction... and i find myself facinated with it all. No. Really. Totally distracted at school, daydreaming about when i can get back outside again. Studying has become increasingly difficult. I know this is routine for everyone around here, but for me it's not. A classmate jokingly told me that i am "nauseatingly optomistic" about the upcoming seasons. Eh, perhaps she is right...but it is an artist's dream world!

Most of the time, when you paint a tree, you've got to use a lot of green. And don't get me wrong, i have nothing against green. In fact, it is my favorite color. But that aside, trees are generally green. We recognize kid's drawings of trees as simple sticks with circles of green on top and go..."Ohhh,..a tree. Very nice, Billy." But a stick drawing with ORANGE and RED and PURPLE and YELLOW and all the eleventymillion colors inbetween on top, well...somehow that's just not recoginzable as a tree. But it IS, i tell you! And it happens every year! Eeee!

Richard takes all of this excitement in stride. Today, when i burst through the door with a breathless, "THE OAKS ARE STARTING!" and triumphantly thrust a handful of leaves towards him, he replied calmly, "what? ...oh, uh, yeah." *sigh*

Perhaps i'm just trying to store up colors and sights in my brain before it's all over and winter comes and makes it all colorless and white and drab? I dunno... it's as good an explaination as any.

Hello, my name is Hollis....and i'm a color hoarder.

No comments: